Jambalaya

I'm going to attempt to make jambalaya this weekend. I have looked at many recipes. Most of them state to make the white rice separately and pour the jambalaya onto the rice. Others say to make the rice in the jambalaya. Does it matter or is there a proper method to make this dish correctly?

asked by Scottielew almost 5 years ago

rosepetalfarm

One more thing, I was just wondering if you had decided between a red or a brown jambalaya? The red is historically Creole, and the brown is historically Cajun. Historically, of course. Everyones

Scottielew

Wow!!! Thank you so much! I have not decide between red or brown but I will!

David

The choice between separate cooked rice is typically whether you prefer more of a wet Jambalaya or dry Jambalaya. The rice will absorb most all of the liquid if cooked with the jambalaya. I like to have more of a sauce that is poured over already cooked rice.
If you want the rice to have lots of flavor you can cook it in chicken stock with a few pieces of andouille sausage and some of the creole spices you use in the jambalaya itself.

LE BEC FIN

IMO, alot more flavor when it is saucey and served over rice.

mensaque

I like it with the rice cooked in the sauce,like my mom does it.My mom is "Jambalaya Queen" and she puts some twists on it too...chicken and crawfish are great but she has made with bacalhau(dry salted cod fish),ground beef,portuguese sausage,and even sliced hot dogs...

Scottielew

Ok...so now I need to try it both ways! This sounds so good!