2 (!) new cookbooks from Food52—comin' atchya. Shop the presale »
🔕 🔔

How much water do I add to the rice cooker for 1 1/2 cups of basmati rice (white)?

I know Basmati is a little different than Jasmine and other rices as far as the water ratio goes when using a rice cooker. How much do I need for 1 1/2 cups? Should I also add butter or oil as some people suggest?

asked by Jennifer about 3 years ago

I would suggest 3 cups of water, 2 times the volume of rice. As for butter or oil, I don't usually add either. Maybe the butter for flavor if the recipe calls for it. Basmati rice cooks up fluffy, but not sticky, so I'm not sure what the butter or oil would do other than flavor.

Join Our Email List!

Inbox Inspiration:

Our newsletter is brimming with recipes and features that have us talking—dive in!

A Joyful Home:

Sign up to get $10 off a first purchase of $50 or more in our shop full of tools & treasures.

Come On In:

Join our humming community and get dibs on events, peeks at new cookbooks, and a surprise or two.