A question about a recipe: Madeira Tart

I have a question about the recipe "Madeira Tart" from thirschfeld. The recipe says, "...Pour the custard into the tart till it is half full. Place the tart into the oven and then finish filling the tart. You will probably have about a 1/2 cup of base left...." I am confused about why you would fill the tart half full, then place it in the oven and finish filling it. How could you fill it when it is actually in the oven? Thank you!

• Posted by: LizCo77
  • August 23, 2013
E2091146 951b 49b7 9ea2 9d0be3080fd5  031511f 742
Recipe question for: Madeira Tart

I Can Cook That
I Can Cook That August 23, 2013

My guess is that its so you don't spill it when putting it in the oven. Maybe they mean to place it on a pulled out oven rack and then finish pouring?

boulangere August 23, 2013

I agree. I wouldn't bother with the two-step filling method. Set the tart pan inside a baking sheet (in case it overflows), set that in the oven, pour in the filling. Gently slide the baking sheet into the oven. Shut the door.