Lindsey Shere's Almond Tart - undercooked

I prepared Lindsey Shere's Almond Tart (Genius Recipes) last night for a dinner this evening. I had no issues with the crust, etc., but I fear that I pulled the tart too early; the top is not very caramelized. Would it be possible to put the outside ring of the tart pan back on and return it to the oven this evening to try and get the filling more caramelized?

asked by wendyg about 1 year ago

Alysa

I've made this unfortunate mistake before, and put it back in a pre-heated oven that was 25-50° cooler then the original baking temperature. Also, check for doneness every 5 minutes or so as this is not an initial baking and can easily be burned.

wendyg

Thanks so much for the feedback! I'll give it a whirl and hope for the best.

I agree with Alysa that this should work if you're careful not to overdo it—in fact I've learned from our brilliant baking columnist Erin McDowell that sometimes when you re-bake cookies briefly you can get more even browning. I bet that might be the case here, too!

wendyg

Thanks, Kristen! The idea of re-baking cookies is highly intriguing...I will have to try that, too. Will report back regarding the tart. I'm feeling optimistic now.

wendyg

Update...throwing the tart back in the oven worked great! I am at altitude so I stuck with the original oven temp. I obviously had underbaked even more than I suspected because I had it in there at least 15 minutes before it grew nice and deep golden.

I DID end up with the dreaded "cornflake top" but I suspect I was overzealous with babysitting the tart and tapping down the bubbles. Next time I will just let it do it's thing. And there will be a next time because the flavor was incredible. Thanks so much to both of you for the help!!

Thanks for reporting back—so glad it worked well! I haven't experienced the cornflake top yet myself, but I have to admit it sounds kind of good, if maybe less pretty? (I love cornflakes!)

Alysa

Yay! Glad it was a success. My sister shared her secret to fix a 'cornflake top'. If it happens again, sprinkle sugar over the top, broil setting for a few seconds (preheat for best results). Works like a charm to mend the top of any dessert.