🔕 🔔

I'm making a Tarte Tatin for the first time and I was wondering if I bake it the night before (since the oven will be filled with other dishes on the day of Thanksgiving) will the puff pastry be soggy?

Also, I've just purchased my first skillet and I have no idea how to 'season' it as called for in the recipe, and I also think I may not have time to do that, so how will it affect the Tarte Tatin? Any help would be most appreciated!!

Thank you!

asked by Hiroka almost 7 years ago

To season the skillet use a shortening to coat it while it is warm. This is only needed for iron skillets. this is needed to keep ingredients from permeating the iron skillet. Honestly I have not seen puff pastry used for a Tarte Tatin.

Chefdaniel, Thank you very much for your response. I've never made a Tarte Tatin and the recipe I found online called for puff pastry, do you suggest I make a pie crust instead?
Thanks again!

I have seen recipes that use puff pastry, although I haven't tried it. I used to make the Chez Panisse recipe from the CP Menu Cookbook. Be sure you use a recipe from a reliable source.Here is a nice description:
http://dinersjournal.blogs...

To season cast iron, rub with oil place in a low oven for a couple hours. It further seasons with use and becomes nonstick as long as you don't use harsh detergent and scrub the coating off.

Oh, and I think you will be fine doing it the night before. reheat gently before serving.

Nutcakes,
Thank you very much for your helpful advice! I will be sure to read the article and season the pan properly.

RE: Seasoning the pan. I rub the entire inside of the pan w/ veg oil and put in a hot oven for about 1/2 hour and then turn off oven and leave in as long as possible.
I have used both filo and puff pastry for tarte tatin. They're both laminated doughs and will work fine. Making in advance is OK too. As nutcakes wrote, reheat gently. And enjoy!!!! Boyfriend and I are doing this too because I work in a bakery and I'm pied out.