🔕 🔔

I decided to start making my own hummus after WF raised the price to 7.99 for 16 oz. my flavor was good but didn't like the consistency. It w

Fluffy instead of creamy. I used frozen instead if canned chick peas (avoiding cans when I can). Juice of 3 lemons, 2+ TB olive oil, a little water 1/8-1/4 c, 1/2 c tahini, salt, cumin, cayenne. I used my ninja instead of food processor. Where did I up wrong? How can I get it creamy not fluffy????

asked by MauraKaras about 4 years ago

A028427c 7b8b 4d1e a589 76ec9811f6fd  photo

Not sure why that came out fluffy, but I've used this recipe a couple times and it's turned out perfectly: http://food52.com/recipes...

You can either start from scratch with the above, or just reference it and see where any differences in ingredients/preparations lay....

On second thought, it may be the amount of lemon juice you used. Acids can do weird things to texture, and the effects can change depending on when/how you add it. (Not a scientific answer, but maybe someone else can weigh in.)

Bac35f8c 0352 46fe 95e3 57de4b652617  p1291120

Interesting. I'm not sure what you mean by "fluffy" (too much air?). I do know that when I make hummus at home (using a standard food processor) it tends to be a bit grainy at first, so I've learned to be really patient and let the food processor run longer than I would have thought (3 to 4 minutes) and it comes out creamy. Not sure if the extra blades of a ninja (just looked it up on-line; not actually familiar with it) might be putting more air and creating the "fluffy" texture you describe. I doubt if it is the frozen versus canned, and the lemon seems okay to me, although I do believe I add just a bit more olive oil. I've done it so many times now I don't use a recipe, so can't really compare mine to yours... but totally agree it isn't hard to make at home and the store price is ridiculous for what it is (FWIW: I probably use less than half that amount of tahini, but wouldn't expect that to make the difference).

Aa3abfaa 3148 4d48 ace3 01da788a6d2a  stringio
riv

Have you tried using dried chick peas? The recipe from the "Jerusalem" cookbook is great: http://food52.com/recipes...

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

is it possible that its the ninja? maybe added in too much air (over whipped)? the ingredients seem right.

Dried chickpeas are definitely the way to go. Frozen ones have lost a lot of water&the end product is usually very coarse. Not as refined as hummus should be.

I make hummus all the time using canned, frozen and boxed chickpeas. While there is a textural difference to dried, I don't think the difference would be that the hummus would be fluffy, which is the concern here. I think it's too much air.