🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Louisa's Cake

251ea3fb bebc 4b20 bc02 c3a1e935504f  2016 0309 italian lemon ricotta cake for easter james ransom 041

I have a question about the recipe "Louisa's Cake" from SML Office. I made the Louisa Cake last night and, while the flavor was delicious, my cake turned out very moist and dense. The description says it should be "light and airy." What can I do to fix this for next time?

asked by za'atar about 4 years ago

5931bcf1 b22d 41db bdb0 e856dde60d58  image

Based on the ingredients for this cake, I would myself know before making the cake that it would not necessarily be light and airy, but more like a butter or pound cake. This being said, however, other things do contribute to the lightness of a cake. First, you really want to make sure you beat the sugar and butter until it is indeed very creamy and fluffy, for lack of a better expression. Second, you want to make sure the flour is well incorporated into batter, but you don't want to overbeat the batter because this can result in a heavier cake. However, I think that whoever makes this cake will see it is not necesarily "light and airy" but more along the line of what you described, that is very moist and dense. I have yet to make it myself, I admit; but I don't think I am wrong. D) Also the picture of the cake seems to show a cake that is more "moist and dense" than "light and airy." Nothing wrong with that though.

One more thing. You may also want to experiment with beating the egg whites separately until it forms soft peak and, as the last step, gently fold it into the batter. Doing this usually makes a cake lighter.

Is it right to bake this cake at 400 degree?

In the comments under the recipe, several people said they baked it at 350°f for 40-45 minutes and did not have the problem some did with under baked center.

E13942db 47ca 4f9a 8962 371ff1627c0c  fb avatar
added about 2 months ago

Cream the butter + sugar for at least 5 minutes until lite and airy. Don't over mix this cake. After adding the dry ingredients, mix just until combined on low speed. After the apples are added, then mix the cake with a spatula.