substitute chili paste recipe

What can one use for chili paste substitute...can one use equal amount of chili powder??????? This is for Thai Chicken Cole Slaw.

• Posted by: Soumi
  • September 14, 2013

susan g September 14, 2013

Do you have liquid hot sauce? You should be cautious with the amount and taste to get it to your liking. Every one differs so much in its heat.

Patricia Jones
Patricia Jones March 23, 2018

Chili paste is best for any recipes. It adds heat and spiciness to the food items. But, if you want to substitute chili paste, you can try - Crushed Red Pepper Flakes, Hot Sauce, Ketchup With Pepper. If you want to know more about this, you can check https://foodgear.org/chili-paste-substitute/, this site.

Nancy March 23, 2018

Since this thread came up again, keep in mind that chili powder (despite name) isn't very hot. It's really a warm spice blend, usually including cumin and oregano, sometimes other flavors like garlic.
So, if no chili paste on hand, go for the items susan g & Patricia Jones suggest. Or even fresh chilis (they keep well in the freezer).