Can I freeze small fresh prunes & mirabelles?

My friend gave me a huge amount but I'm leaving town in a day and no time to do anything before I go. Hate to see them go. Thanks.

• Posted by: Blaire
  • September 16, 2013

Diana B
Diana B September 16, 2013

You can freeze them, but they will be mushy when you thaw them, correspondingly harder to remove the pits from or to use in recipes. Maybe give them to a food bank or something like that?

Pegeen September 16, 2013

You could dry them in the oven. It takes a while, but is mostly hands-off time. Line some baking sheets with parchment paper, spray with cooking spray. Wash the plums and pat dry. Pit them and quarter them. Spread out on baking sheets. Bake at 200 F for 2 hours. Use a spatula to turn, then bake for 2 hours more. When cool, put them in an air-tight container in the fridge.

David
David September 16, 2013

I've never roasted mirabelles but have roasted regular plums with a little brown sugar or honey and packed them into a mason jar and filled with brandy. Delicious over ice cream all winter long and the brandy is pretty good as well.

ChefJune September 16, 2013

My goodness, David, that sounds like a fabulous idea! I was going to suggest cooking them and then freezing the poached fruit, but I like your idea so much better.

Blaire
Blaire September 16, 2013

Yum. Yes, thanks for the suggestions!

Pegeen September 16, 2013

David, that sounds delicious.

David
David September 16, 2013

Thanks for the kind words. It's good for most any end of summer fruit you have an abundance of or if your peach, pear or fig tree seems to ripen all at once.