white eggplant

I received a white eggplant in the farm box this week. I have read that they don't need to be salted like the purple ones, but I wanted to check here to see what you all think before I commit to salting/not salting. Thanks in advance.

SMSF
SMSF September 20, 2013

I have not heard that about white eggplant, but then again, I don't bother with salting any eggplant. It just seems to be an extra step with no benefits (I used to salt, but don't do it anymore).

David
David September 20, 2013

White eggplants are less acidic/bitter than purple. So if you salt to remove bitterness you might not need to. I only salt eggplant if I'm going to saute them in oil because I think it keeps them from drinking as much oil. The skins on white eggplant are thicker...almost inedible so I think they're typically better baked than grilled or sauteed. There have been two great columns on food52 recently, one on whether to salt eggplants or not and another on a recipe that involves microwaving them. I think the white eggplants would do well in this microwave recipe. You should look both columns up...sorry to not provide url's

Kristen W.
Kristen W. September 20, 2013

Thanks for your thoughts. David, I have read the column about whether to salt eggplant. My own experience is that unless I'm using Japanese eggplants, I have found them to be sweeter when I salt them. Agree with you though on the point about salting them before sauteing them in oil. In this case, I plan to make something ratatouille-ish (I happen to have gotten a lot of ingredients in the CSA box that will work well in a ratatouille), so I will be sauteing them in oil, so I wonder if I should just peel them first but skip the salting...

Kristen W.
Kristen W. September 20, 2013

Oh wait, I meant peel and GO AHEAD with the salting, since I'll be sauteing!

David
David September 20, 2013

Sounds good, peel, salt, saute