🔕 🔔

What makes a good substitute for ricotta salata? My recipe only uses it as a topping after the dish is complete, if that makes any difference... Thanks, picklers!

asked by rlouisecull about 7 years ago

C366a760 d6a9 4168 89c4 8418d3df1d26  img 0033

I would use Mizithra or feta. Ricotta salata is a salty, white, crumbly cheese. I hope you can find it next time.

B0f2c3df 9bf7 43fc 8544 eb75ba85a60e  kay at lake

Queso fresco, the Mexican crumbling cheese, also works well. You can use chevre if you want the additional tang it brings. I've used queso fresco interchangable with feta and ricotta salata often, though.

445e20c3 ae7c 4384 a5f7 c63a3b70db4d  img 2825

I use Feta or Queso Fresco when I can't find ricotta salata. Both work, as does goat cheese. You want the crumble/salt/tang.

34b35e7d 9f0b 412e bbb2 00e0498f86d5  2016 10 06 19 40 38

I've always got a wedge of Pecorino Romano in the fridge, so that's my go-to substitute for other dry, salty cheeses.

I will politely disagree with the queso fresco recommendation. It doesn't go terribly well with Italian dishes and can be hard to find if you don't live in California or the Southwest. Pecorino romano is a good suggestion or pecorino sardo (although that could be even harder to find). The Mizithra idea is not a bad one.

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

Yes, I agree with the pecorino - similar saltiness.

I don't quite understand. Is there not a high similarity with the plain ricotta? Can't you squeeze out all the fluids and use it? If it's the saltiness, can't you use more? I need more information.

Ricotta Salata is semi-hard, salty, crumbly and somewhat tangy. Regular ricotta is very soft, and not very salty or tangy. One wants to crumble, like feta. Can't dobthatcwith ricotta cheese. What other information are you missing?

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Feta is always easy to find and has the right saltiness and crumbly texture.

Re: Queso Fresco - as noted above, it may not be right for an Italian dish (though it doesn't specify that this is an Italian recipe - I've seen Ricotta Salata used in dishes that aren't strictly Italian) - but anyway, no doubt it's easier to find on the West Coast, but it's still not too hard on the East Coast either... I see it all over the place here.I imagine it's available any place that has a significant Mexican or Latino population.