What makes a good substitute for ricotta salata? My recipe only uses it as a topping after the dish is complete, if that makes any difference... Thanks, picklers!

OpEdible
OpEdible November 28, 2010

I would use Mizithra or feta. Ricotta salata is a salty, white, crumbly cheese. I hope you can find it next time.

Kayb
Kayb November 28, 2010

Queso fresco, the Mexican crumbling cheese, also works well. You can use chevre if you want the additional tang it brings. I've used queso fresco interchangable with feta and ricotta salata often, though.

phyllis
phyllis November 28, 2010

I use Feta or Queso Fresco when I can't find ricotta salata. Both work, as does goat cheese. You want the crumble/salt/tang.

lastnightsdinner
lastnightsdinner November 28, 2010

I've always got a wedge of Pecorino Romano in the fridge, so that's my go-to substitute for other dry, salty cheeses.

pierino November 28, 2010

I will politely disagree with the queso fresco recommendation. It doesn't go terribly well with Italian dishes and can be hard to find if you don't live in California or the Southwest. Pecorino romano is a good suggestion or pecorino sardo (although that could be even harder to find). The Mizithra idea is not a bad one.

mrslarkin November 28, 2010

Yes, I agree with the pecorino - similar saltiness.

Denille Campbell
Denille Campbell August 24, 2011

I don't quite understand. Is there not a high similarity with the plain ricotta? Can't you squeeze out all the fluids and use it? If it's the saltiness, can't you use more? I need more information.

Denille Campbell
Denille Campbell August 24, 2011

phyllis
phyllis August 24, 2011

Ricotta Salata is semi-hard, salty, crumbly and somewhat tangy. Regular ricotta is very soft, and not very salty or tangy. One wants to crumble, like feta. Can't dobthatcwith ricotta cheese. What other information are you missing?

amysarah August 24, 2011

Feta is always easy to find and has the right saltiness and crumbly texture.

Re: Queso Fresco - as noted above, it may not be right for an Italian dish (though it doesn't specify that this is an Italian recipe - I've seen Ricotta Salata used in dishes that aren't strictly Italian) - but anyway, no doubt it's easier to find on the West Coast, but it's still not too hard on the East Coast either... I see it all over the place here.I imagine it's available any place that has a significant Mexican or Latino population.

Voted the Best Reply!

NancyML
NancyML December 14, 2011

My first choice would be cojita, a Mexican cheese very similar to ricotta salata. Second would be a mild feta.