A question about a recipe: No-Knead Sandwich Bread

7fc05f63 1252 49a3 897f 84812c2bc11e  img 5937

I have a question about the recipe "No-Knead Sandwich Bread" from Carey Nershi. I would like to find a non-disposable alternative to plastic wrap for when the dough goes into the fridge. Can I just put in a storage container, or does it need to have contact with some material to keep it from drying out/forming skin?

asked by vvvanessa about 5 years ago

willow101

I have used a dry and clean wash/dish cloth without problems when working with bread dough (rising for 1-3 hours), and also pizza dough.

littleman

By non-disposable, do you mean reusable? Sure, put it in a storage container with a lid, and also be sure to lightly oil the surface of the dough before refrigerating it.

Long before disposable wraps were around, bakers put their dough to rise either in a lined basket or a large mixing bowl and covered them with a tea towel. Still works. :)

oops! Forgot to mention that the reason I wouldn't like a closed container for rising bread, it that would limit the dough's capacity to rise. A "lid" that rises with the dough gives it more room to express itself.

vvvanessa

Thanks, everyone. I use a dish towel for the risings, but my question is more along the lines of longer-term storage in the fridge. The author of the recipe says the dough can be stored for a couple of weeks, and I wonder if it will suffer from not being very tightly wrapped (even though I don't really intend to leave it for more than a few days). I'll try the storage container and brushing the surface of the dough with oil, which totally makes sense in terms of keeping the dough from drying out.