Freezing chocolate chips

Nestle semi-sweet morsels were on sale in my local supermarket. I bought several bags. Is it possible to just put the bags in the freezer so that they don't turn "white" from being stored in a cabinet for a long time? TIA

asked by barb48 about 5 years ago

Stephanie Bourgeois
Stephanie Bourgeois

Stephanie is the Head Recipe Tester of Food52.

Usually, he white that forms on chocolate chips is just bloom from the chocolate getting too warm. It just means that the cocoa fat has changed to a different crystal form, but it is perfectly fine to eat. Keeping the chips in the freezer or refrigerator will keep the chocolate from getting too warm and forming the white bloom.

barb48

Thanks, Stephanie, I'm honored that you answered my question!