Making Jacques Torres' Chocolate Chip Cookies : Chocolate question

Never made this recipe before, but have an extended vacation so am honing my baking skills. Have had the cookie many times at the shop though, so I think I have a good feel about how my final product should look. I only have semi sweet nestle chocolate chips, and Valhrona chocolate chocolate feves in several percentages. The recipe comments has people using chocolate chips as a substitute for the chocolate disks/baking wafers, but given how long the wait for these cookies will be, I want to make the recipe excellent on the first try. The Valhrona feves are flat like the chocolate disks used in the actual shop and in the recipe, but they are definitely 1.5 to 2 times the size.

Should I use the same quantity of chocolate if I use the much larger feves?
Would chopping them up slightly still give me the pools of chocolate effect found in the cookie?
Should I just use the chocolate chips? (but why, right?? if I have exponentially better chocolate!)

Thanks and happy holidays everyone :)

asked by E almost 2 years ago

E

former Community Editor

I know as it appears on this site it calls for chocolate disks, but as it appears on the NYT website (http://cooking.nytimes...) it calls for fèves or disks, so I think you're okay to proceed without chopping.

E
E

Thank you so much!!! Yay. Now I can achieve cookie nirvana this week