I have a boatload of leftover stale corn muffins. Anyone have a good recipe for a savory bread pudding or strata made with cornbread? Thanks in advance!

asked by JenniferF almost 8 years ago

jane_grenier

Different idea: pour chili over 'em--that's what I just had for dinner.

nutcakes

Great thought of how to use it up. Here is a basic one from Crescent Dragonwagon that I like.
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=10000001923996

But I'd like some greens in there and this sounds terrific
http://www.nytimes.com...

campagnes

I second the chili suggestion. I like to pour veggie beef soup over cornbread. Mm.

I personally am not a huge fan of this dish, but several of my friends love it: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe... Not a strata or bread pudding, but a use for cornbread, for sure. :)

You can make French toast -- I had that in a diner! Another simple thing: just split and butter them, then toast in a skillet. They are likely to rehydrate if they're not too stale -- or add a few drops of water and cover. (I'd like one right now!)

chrissyb

I know we just got over having loads of stuffing/dressing but I'd mix it with some crumbled biscuits, chopped or shredded chicken, chicken broth, onions, an egg, pepper and sage. Bake for 45 minutes and stir around the edges every 5 minutes. It's a quick and easy dressing.

JenniferF

Thanks all. I'm going to try the Crescent Dragonwagon one sans ham. Roasted red peppers instead. I'll report on my success tonight at about 8pm!

POTATO

How about a riff on enchiladas using your corn muffins instead of corn tortillas. You could do a hotdish based on butternut squash enchiladas with onion, garlic, chipotle in adobo, corn, roasted butternut squash, jack cheese and top with salsa verde and bake. I make something like this and it's delicious.