What causes a lot of air bubbles in a cake?

Admittedly I am not a baker. But, I made a Devils food cake & when I split the layers I see huge air bubbles. I beat the pans down, so no clue what happened. Any thoughts?

yo
yo October 8, 2013

Use an electric mixer on med speed and gently drop cake pan on counter so the air bubbles w. rise to the top should bake without bubbles

boulangere October 8, 2013

Did you sift your dry ingredients? It could be that you experienced what is known as "tunneling", which occurs when leavenings (baking soda and/or baking powder) find themselves in clumps, even very small ones. Rather than creating leavening evenly throughout the cake, they expand in a tunnel.

ChefJune October 8, 2013

Overbeating your batter could also lead to air pockets in the finished cake.

mensaque
mensaque October 8, 2013

Maybe you could explain it through Physics:wormholes!Your cake turned out to be from another dimension...So good,it was out of this world!No,just kidding!!!I'm with Cynthia on this one.It's just chemical reaction.