A question about a recipe: Cappuccino Cheesecake

I have a question about the recipe "Cappuccino Cheesecake" from boulangere. Can I make this recipe into smaller cheesecakes in a muffin tin with liners? Would I still have to submerge it halfway in water?

A5abe363 a005 485c 993f b8d573c6bc74  042611f 809
Recipe question for: Cappuccino Cheesecake

AntoniaJames October 9, 2013

I'd love the know the answer to this question, too. What a great idea. So often when I make fancy desserts, we have far more than we need, so I end up taking slices on plates around the neighborhood. How much more convenient it would be to distribute individual portions, such as you describe. ;o)
P.S. I'm seriously considering this for our Christmas Day dessert. We have no rules or expectations for that dessert, so I usually take the opportunity to try something new. This one's been on my must-try list since it was posted!

ChefJune October 9, 2013

Even tho I bake my large cheesecakes in a bain marie, when I make minis I don't. The baking time is much shorter, and I've found no compromise in the texture of the cake. The smaller pans have such low sides, I was/am worried to get water in the batter -- a big nono.

Greenstuff October 9, 2013

I don't have one, if I were making mini-cheesecakes for Christmas Day or another big event, I'd think about getting one of these mini-cheesecake pans with removable bottoms http://www.kingarthurflour...

They seem like they'd make a much nicer presentation than fooling around with liners. But with a bain marie, I'd worry about leakage.

AntoniaJames October 10, 2013

Chris, thank you for posting the link to that mini-cheesecake tin with the removable bottoms. So clever! ;o)

boulangere October 10, 2013

By all means you can. I agree with not using muffin liners; they'll be messy to remove, and may give your little cheesecakes a look of being handled just a bit too much. Instead, use a non-stick muffin pan. You won't need the water bath because the mass of each cheesecake will be small. To de-pan them when they've cooled completely in the refrigerator, set the muffin pan inside a baking sheet. Pour very hot water into it as deep as you can safely get it and let sit for 15 seconds. Run a small spatula around the edge of each one, lay a sheet of parchment over the top, followed by a cutting board of a suitable size. Turn it all upside down, give it a bang or two, then gently lift the muffin pan away. Turn each cheesecake right side up, lifting with your small spatula if necessary, and there you are.

AntoniaJames October 10, 2013

Splendid! Thank you, Cynthia. I've saved this to my Christmas 2013 collection. Can hardly wait to make it. ;o)

boulangere October 10, 2013

Very happy holidays to you and your family, albeit a bit early!

ChefJune October 11, 2013

If you make muffin-tin cheesecakes with liners, I would serve them with the liners still on. That's the way I've seen them done, and they don't look bad at all. The serving size is just about perfect, imho.

singing_baker
singing_baker October 11, 2013

Update! I made these in the muffin tins with liners and they did NOT come out well. the batter rose and then fell. The consistency was not creamy. I have made this as a regular cheesecake many times and it came out perfect. I would suggest you do the same!

boulangere October 11, 2013

Because muffin liners have fluted sides, they aren't flush with the sides of the muffin tin, so air circulated all around the edges of your cheesecakes, causing them to over bake, as you discovered.

ZombieCupcake
ZombieCupcake October 12, 2013

If you want to still place them in an ice bath you could use casserole dish filled with ice and water place the muffin tin on top