A question about a recipe: Cappuccino Cheesecake Can you use actual expresso instead of the instant one?

I have a question about step 6 on the recipe "Cappuccino Cheesecake" from boulangere. It says:

"Warm 1/2 cup cream in a microwave just enough so that you can dissolve the coffee in it. Stir to blend, then add to filling mixture along with vanilla. Mix on lowest speed until fully incorporated."

A5abe363 a005 485c 993f b8d573c6bc74  042611f 809
Recipe question for: Cappuccino Cheesecake

boulangere April 28, 2011

What is your question?

majoayala
majoayala April 28, 2011

Hi, I wanted to know if you can use actual espresso instead of instant one, and if so, if it would also need to be mixed with cream.

Thanks!

hardlikearmour April 28, 2011

2 T of the espresso powder is about 5 3-oz servings of espresso, so I'd vote no.

boulangere April 28, 2011

HLA is correct - I'm afraid it would add too much liquid.

nutcakes
nutcakes April 28, 2011

If you used the ground coffee, it would be gritty--the instant dissolves. I suppose you could steep the hot cream in fresh grounds, then strain, but I wouldn't have a clue how much to use.

boulangere April 28, 2011

Actually, nutcakes, that is how I used to infuse the coffee flavor into the cream. I just sort of guessed at quantity, but finally I changed to Medaglia d'Oro because I really liked the more intense flavor, and no matter how I tinkered with it, I could never get the bean version not to be gritty or to have a sort of muddy flavor. I'm glad you brought that up, thanks.

AntoniaJames April 28, 2011

For another recipe, I used 1/2 cup of broken/bruised whole beans (pulsed a few times so some were still whole, many broken and many just bruised) in 1 cup of milk and heated it to scalding, then let it infuse for 1 1/2 hours. Then I strained it through 2 layers of medium cheesecloth. It had a lovely, rich coffee flavor. I used Blue Bottle Cafe Noir decaf and the result was sensational. Just getting some espresso powder sounds much easier, though. ;o)

majoayala
majoayala April 28, 2011

thanks for all your answers! I´ll try to get some espresso powder!