Our little rice cooker in a *new* red—but not for long! Shop now » details
Certain restrictions and exclusions apply. While supplies last.
🔕 🔔

Freezing rules

So there have been a number of freezing quetions on hotline lately, and I'm guru of having freezer fear. Always worried that the food won't be as good as fresh. Are there rules for what works really well an what does't. I know some things like soups and doughs do really well...

asked by ATG117 about 3 years ago

Most foods you can freeze such as spaghetti sauce or marinade for meats, just make sure you don't keep it in too long or else it will get freezer burn. What type of food did you have in mind?

A good rule of thumb, too, is always freeze braised meats in the sauce, entirely covered, chilling it well in the fridge for at least a day before putting it in the freezer. If you don't have enough pan juices/sauce, add stock to cover and be prepared to reduce it before serving. I have an excellent book called "Fresh from the Freezer," by Michael Roberts. It's out of print, but you may be able to find it at your library or via alibris. It's a treasure trove of information about freezing all kinds of food. ;o)

Thanks for that suggestion! I will look into it.

Has anyone had a positively bad experience freezing certain types of food? Very interested in the dont's even more than the dos.

Incidentally, thanks to the Hotline, I recently learned that the hummus freezes well. I made an enormous batch of the Genius recipe hummus a few weeks ago and froze most of it. We took some out of the freezer last week and it was great. We took some out yesterday and it's also good. I held off on adding olive oil until after defrosting. I also added some fresh lemon juice to give it a bit more zip, as the basic recipe, even when not frozen seems to need more lemon. Positively delicious, and so easy to make multiple batches. (And until I made this for my sons and husband, I really did not care for hummus. That's history now.) ;o)

To answer your question about don'ts: I made some "Spice Merchant Cauliflower Couscous" (portable side contest winner) and froze some of it. It does not freeze well, at all. Bleeaahh. ;o)

Thanks, AJ. I actually froze white bean dip after I was t left with too muh to keep in the fridge post cocktail party. I too was pleasantly surprised to fun that it defrosted beautifully.

C01d5521 2666 4521 9378 e5b1bdce6106  wilkinson edited centered

One of my favorite freezer tips is that you can freeze buttermilk in ice cub trays. I NEVER seem to use the carton of buttermilk and I love having it on hand for last minute recipes! The USDA says that you can freeze buttermilk safely for up to 3 months. Freeze your cubes and throw them in a plastic bag. Write these conversions on your bag for reference: 2 cubes = 1/4 cup; 4 cubes = 1/2 cup; 6 cubes = 3/4 cup; 8 cubes =1 cup

Also, if you want a quick reference for what's safe to freeze and how long it will stay good I really like this USDA chart: (scroll down to "Cold Storage Chart")

http://www.fsis.usda.gov...