🔕 🔔

I want to make bisquits, but I don't have butter.

asked by nancy_arroyo almost 7 years ago

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

Do you have shortening (Crisco), or lard, or bacon fat?

I'd use shortening and or margarine in a pinch. If you are using buttermilk, that will help a bit with flavor.

whipping cream - circa 1c to 2c flour (self rising or AP w/salt & baking powder) - old recipe from White Lily flour

Oh yes, I forgot you can use whipping cream, good one but I'm unlikely to have it on hand.

B0f2c3df 9bf7 43fc 8544 eb75ba85a60e  kay at lake

If you have NO other fat, and no whipping cream, you can use vegetable oil, but your biscuits won't be as light and fluffy. I'm also of the opinion it's pointless to make biscuits unless you have butter to spread on them while they're hot.

Fc23ea4b 9ae1 494e 8a6f ba43f6488062  me by barbara tyroler

If you have 2 cups of flour, use 1/3 cup vegetable oil and 2/3 cup milk. They'll be just fine, although as Kayb says--no butter to go on them while they're hot? Sad.