When making tahini is it ok to heat the sea same on the stove on medium stirring? Or bake in oven?

asked by aubrey almost 5 years ago

aubrey

Sesame seeds*

trampledbygeese
trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

You're toasting the sesame seeds before grinding? I don't see why not. Personally I love toasted sesame seeds in a tahini or any sauce.

I usually toast my sesame seeds on the stove, in a dry, heavy bottom frying pan, stirring or shaking the pan almost constantly. Depending on how many seeds and size of the pan, it only takes a minute or two to toast them. I know they are done when they just start to change colour and smell yummy.

Note, they will keep cooking if you leave them in the pan even with the heat off. Don't ask how many time's I've burnt these on residual heat, I lost count.

aubrey

I toasted them in a large pan on medium for 15 minutes stirring frequently. I used a lot of sesame seeds (about 4 cups) then blended them in a nut rivulet with 1/2 a cup of olive oil. It turned out really good! The hummus was the best I've made so far. Thanks for the hint about the seeds cooking even with the heat off. It did take a long time for them to cool.