I am looking for a fruitcake recipe called Fruitcake haters fruitcake.

It was published in a Detroit newspaper food section about 30 yrs ago. It was the best and used dried apricots. very moist and buttery.

• Posted by: lory
  • October 13, 2013

Diana B
Diana B October 13, 2013

There are plenty to be found via Google; here's a nice one which uses apricot nectar and doesn't specify what kind of dried fruit to use, so you could use as much dried apricot as you like: http://milesinbetween.com/2011/11/07/fruitcake-haters-fruitcake/

kyurman
kyurman October 28, 2013

I have a recipe called "Fruitcake Haters' Fruitcake that I have been making for approximately 30 years. I originally got it from Harrowsmith Magazine. It calls for 3 pounds of dried apricots, and also dates, pecans and raisins; and just enough buttery sweet batter to hold it all together. It is then soaked in brandy and orange liquor and wrapped up and aged for a month. If this sounds like the recipe you are looking for, I'd be happy to email it to you.

Dona
Dona October 29, 2013

I would love it if you could email that rcipe to me too!

ellenl
ellenl October 29, 2013

Please, could you post the recipe on food52? Thanks.

kyurman
kyurman October 29, 2013

I'm new to this site, but it looks to me like I'm only supposed to post original recipes. I do have a PDF of the recipe I'll gladly email to you if you send me your address by private msg.

Linda
Linda December 2, 2014

I have this recipe that was published in the Detroit Free Press. If Nyone is interested I can enter it.

Diana B
Diana B December 2, 2014

Linda, please do post a link or paste the recipe into this thread - thanks!

Linda
Linda December 2, 2014

Lucy Memory DeVine, a Detroit caterer whose recipes have been published in Gourmet Magazine gave this recipe to the Detroit Free Press many years ago as a "Fruitcake Haters Fruitcake". The cakes should cure for at least a week, but she made them 3 or 4 months ahead of the holidays.
- Cream together one pound (2 cups) butter, one pound (2 1/4 cups) brown sugar and one cup honey. Add 10 eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.
- Sift together four cups of sifted flour, two teaspoons baking powder, 3/4 teaspoon salt, one teaspoon allspice, and two teaspoons cinnamon. Fold half this mixture into batter.
- Combine in a small bowl 1/2 cup light cream, two tablespoons lemon juice and one cup apricot nectar. Stir into batter, mixing well.
- Dredge the following in the remaining flour mixture: Three pounds dried apricots, sliced; 1 1/2 pounds dates, thinly sliced; one pound seedless golden raisins; two pounds pecans (either broken or whole). Add to the batter and stir to blend.
- Pour batter into four greased and floured 9 1/2 x 5 inch loaf pans, and bake in a very slow oven (250 degrees F.) for three hours or until done. Cool in pan before removing. Sprinkle the cakes with one cup of brandy mixed with 1/4 cup Grand Marnier and wrap well. Refridgerate until Christmas.

Nancy December 2, 2014

How wonderful that you found the Detroit recipe Lory was looking for and can honor the woman who made it by publishing it in her name!

Linda
Linda December 2, 2014

Yes, that's 250 degrees F for the fruitcake.

Diana B
Diana B December 2, 2014

Thank you, Linda!

Picholine
Picholine December 16, 2015

I just posted Nona M's Fruitcake Recipe....fruitcake lovers and haters!