🔕 🔔

Best method for drying herbs.

I have a boatload of thyme, more than I could possibly use or even give to my neighbors. I have never dried herbs before. What is the best method to dry it so it doesn't go to waste. I also have more basil than I can use is it best to process and freeze or dry it also?

53573b8d 4bf0 4ffd 843d b2e617cfeb6b  dscn3274
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

My dad always bundles up his thyme and hangs it in the basement to dry.. As for basil, I like to put a bunch in the blender and then add olive oil a little at a time, until I get a creamy paste. Then I pour it into ice cube trays and freeze. Once frozen, wrap them tightly in the freezer and use for soups, spaghetti sauce etc. I also freeze the basil in ice cube trays covered with water.

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

I love your problems - Boatloads of corn, thyme and basil! Here is a great information source for drying thyme http://www.pickyourown...
I prefer freezing basil because although it looks limp, it keeps its flavor. And basil has a higher water content and I find it molds more easily when dried.

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

Thank you so much, Pat and SKK. I didn't grow the corn but bought way more than I needed at the market. I grow the herbs and this year they just grew like crazy. So the general consensus is to freeze the basil and the link to drying thyme is so helpful. Thanks,

Bb305185 6b66 45c6 ac96 6204c9dd8a30  dsc09796
Sarah Jampel

Sarah is Food52's senior staff writer & stylist.

Check out this article! http://food52.com/blog...

Thank you I just saw that, I now have a boatload of basil too, pesto time and drying. It's a great article. Thanks again.