This just may be in my head, but does anybody else notice the funny taste in crockpot cooking? It is always there for me...kind of a mild metal taste, or sweet milk taste...something like that. I have stopped using our crockpot, because I can't stand that after-taste. It does not seem to matter what I am cooking. It is always there.

Cliff

6f5e7b7c 1463 4f73 83f4 f84b375d35a2  dscn0135 2

nutcakes
nutcakes November 29, 2010

Although I don't use my crockpot much, just occasionally. The few things I have made do not have any taste like that.

betteirene
betteirene November 30, 2010

Yup. It's there. It's hard to describe, but it's definitely there. It's not strong enough to be totally off--putting, though. There's less of that taste when I sear and brown the meat first and soften the onions, and I no longer add a bay leaf to the pot.

campagnes
campagnes November 30, 2010

Like nutcakes, I don't use my crockpot often, but I've noticed that if I use it to make a tomato-based dish, I don't like the flavor as much as if I would've made it on the stove. Hard to describe, but I guess it's kind of a sweet milk/metallic flavor. The flavors just don't seem as sharp or bright to me.

pierino November 30, 2010

It gets down to this, a slow cooker is a convenience appliance and not a real culinary tool. You have to make choices. You can now buy an expensive machine for sous vide at home. That's a choice I am not selecting. But back to slow cookers, it really does get down to how much work and loss of sleep you are willing to put into a meal.

isabelita
isabelita November 30, 2010

Ditto! After several different recipes the funny taste was still there. I finally decided this type of cooking was not for me and sold it at a yard sale to a very happy customer. I also did not like the idea of leaving it unattended for so many hours.

Peter
Peter November 30, 2010

If your crockpot has a metal pot and you're using something acidic like tomato, I imagine there could be some leeching of metal if it's not a high-end crockpot. If you love crockpot cooking, you might want to look around for new crockpot with a ceramic or stainless insert.

POTATO
POTATO November 30, 2010

If your crockpot is coated w/ a non-stick coating it is most likely leaching several chemicals in to your food, some of which are known-carcinogens. You can read about it with a simple internet search. I did a lot of reading on the subject, spoke to my doctor about it, and in the end tossed out all my teflon/non-stick coated pots and pans. Not everyone would react like I did, but it's worth learning about the chemicals that end up in our food.

Soozll
Soozll November 30, 2010

I don't use mine often but I have noticed that when I have used it for recipes with meat and vegetables, the long, slow cooking time melds the flavors too much. It's like the sweetness in the vegs permeate the sauce that developes and it's not as savory as I would expect from braising or pot roasting. I've never made recipes with prepackaged ingredients (like canned or dried soup mixes), so maybe I'm not getting as much sodium in my preparations.

spiffypaws
spiffypaws November 30, 2010

I only use my crockpot at parties to keep foods warm. I think that unless you have tons of space a crockpot is a huge waste of space. You can do the same thing better by braising on the cooktop or in the oven. It's especially a waste of time and space when the recipe requires you to brown the meat in a separate pan, then put in crockpot.

campagnes
campagnes November 30, 2010

Totally agree, spiffypaws. I have a large, high-end crockpot, enamel liner, yada yada yada, but I just don't like the way the food turns out. So I fashioned some dividers and use it to keep party foods warm. And I've always thought the same thing about browning meat before adding to the crockpot; I guess since I never like the food anyway, I don't want to bother dirtying another pan.

askann
askann November 30, 2010

I know what you mean about the funny taste. I've had the best luck avoiding it with fatty pork dishes in strong sauces. Like pulled pork or a sort of Asian thing with soy, brown sugar, lots of ginger, etc.

Jacquelyn Schafer
Jacquelyn Schafer March 17, 2018

Us too. It smells horrible like leaching chemicals. I'm ready to throw it out. The food stinks too after. Really disappointed as we just got the crockpot pressure cooker.

nutcakes
nutcakes March 18, 2018

Do you have a ceramic insert? Mine with ceramic inserts (I now have 3) don't make any smell or taste. I use it mainly for pot roasts and to make shredded beef or chicken in spicy sauce for tacos.

By the way, you don't really have to answer threads that are 7 years old. I suppose you can, since it doesn't look like they close them ever, but the original poster may be long gone and not looking for an answer after 7 years, lol.

Smaug March 19, 2018

The original poster may be gone, but a lot of questions are of general interest and don't really lose their validity- I for one am interested in what people have to say on this subject. My own experience with crockpots- I bought a good one at no small expense, tried several recipes from generally dependable sources, and didn't like any of them, though I don't remember a particular consistent off taste. Coupled with the fact that recipe timing of recipes tended to have me furiously at work at 3:30 AM- a bit early for even a morning freak like myself- I ended up donating it.