🔕 🔔

Real food pickle! I'm cooking posole (hominy) at the moment and not sure how long to cook. Package suggests two hours, but other recipes say even three or more. Some of the kernels have "popped" but not all. Should I cook until all "pop"? Thanks!!

asked by healthierkitchen over 6 years ago

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

I am ashamed to say I am a canned hominy user - but this is what I found online - sounds like they all need to puff - which makes sense - they're all poofy out of the can ..

To cook hominy, soak the dried product overnight in ample water. Then simmer, covered, for 3 hours, maybe more, until it is greatly puffed and tender.

now I want to try too!!!

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

Thanks aargersi. I've never cooked with it before, canned or otherwise! I bought some on impulse a few months back and am now hoping to make both mrs.wheelbarrow's tortilla soup, and lastnightsdinner's pozole. I remember having posole in Santa Fe a million years ago, but have no recollection of what it looked like. I'm coming up on three hours cooking now, and most of the kernels are "poofy." Hopefully it's almost done. One item I found on line suggested 5 or 6 hours!

Oh I need to go look at the pozole recipe, that is on my Things To Cook list and I am gathering (ripping off) several recipes :-) Let us know how everything comes out!!!

34b35e7d 9f0b 412e bbb2 00e0498f86d5  2016 10 06 19 40 38

I think the only way to be sure is to taste it. I don't recall how long my last batch cooked, but it has varied according to brand, too. I guess my best advice is that if it's tender to the bite, it's done - not very helpful, I'm afraid :)

Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

Au contrere, lastnightsdinner: judging doneness by the tenderness of an ingredient is the most solid advice you can give, so your answer is excellent.

Timetables are merely suggestions, approximations, estimates. They are based on too many variables to be able to state with pinpoint accuracy that something should be cooked for a specific period of time. Two hours on my stove with my idea of medium-high heat at my altitude might turn out raw compared to yours. That's why I love recipes that use the words "about" and "or until" in the same sentence, as in "simmer for about two hours or until all the hominy kernels have popped."

I let it go 3.5 hours until it seemed like all the kernels had opened. They certainly seem tender and I guess, will cook a little longer in the stock. Looking forward to tomorrow's dinner!

Let us know how it turned out. If it was OMGwonderful, share the recipe!

Made lastnightsdinner's Turkey Pozole Verde: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

Terrific!! Delicious and easy to make.