Real food pickle! I'm cooking posole (hominy) at the moment and not sure how long to cook. Package suggests two hours, but other recipes say even three or more. Some of the kernels have "popped" but not all. Should I cook until all "pop"? Thanks!!

asked by healthierkitchen about 8 years ago

I am ashamed to say I am a canned hominy user - but this is what I found online - sounds like they all need to puff - which makes sense - they're all poofy out of the can ..

To cook hominy, soak the dried product overnight in ample water. Then simmer, covered, for 3 hours, maybe more, until it is greatly puffed and tender.

now I want to try too!!!

healthierkitchen

Thanks aargersi. I've never cooked with it before, canned or otherwise! I bought some on impulse a few months back and am now hoping to make both mrs.wheelbarrow's tortilla soup, and lastnightsdinner's pozole. I remember having posole in Santa Fe a million years ago, but have no recollection of what it looked like. I'm coming up on three hours cooking now, and most of the kernels are "poofy." Hopefully it's almost done. One item I found on line suggested 5 or 6 hours!

Oh I need to go look at the pozole recipe, that is on my Things To Cook list and I am gathering (ripping off) several recipes :-) Let us know how everything comes out!!!

lastnightsdinner

I think the only way to be sure is to taste it. I don't recall how long my last batch cooked, but it has varied according to brand, too. I guess my best advice is that if it's tender to the bite, it's done - not very helpful, I'm afraid :)

betteirene

Au contrere, lastnightsdinner: judging doneness by the tenderness of an ingredient is the most solid advice you can give, so your answer is excellent.

Timetables are merely suggestions, approximations, estimates. They are based on too many variables to be able to state with pinpoint accuracy that something should be cooked for a specific period of time. Two hours on my stove with my idea of medium-high heat at my altitude might turn out raw compared to yours. That's why I love recipes that use the words "about" and "or until" in the same sentence, as in "simmer for about two hours or until all the hominy kernels have popped."

healthierkitchen

I let it go 3.5 hours until it seemed like all the kernels had opened. They certainly seem tender and I guess, will cook a little longer in the stock. Looking forward to tomorrow's dinner!

betteirene

Let us know how it turned out. If it was OMGwonderful, share the recipe!

healthierkitchen

Made lastnightsdinner's Turkey Pozole Verde: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

Terrific!! Delicious and easy to make.