🔕 🔔

Damson plum kernels: I just pickled some damson plums, after cutting in half and removing the stones. What should I do with the kernels inside? ;o)

I have about twenty of them. (And they're so tiny.) Thank you, everyone. ;o)

asked about 4 years ago

7b500f1f 3219 4d49 8161 e2fc340b2798  flower bee

You can put them in a small jar of alcohol of your choice and let them flavor it.

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

I recently read an article with some interesting uses for stone fruit kernels. http://www.oregonlive.com...

I've read that you can put them into your jam for extra flavor.

I think using the kernels to flavor jam or canned plums is fine, but I wouldn't eat them, at least not in any quantity. Plums and other stone fruits such as peaches, nectarines, and bitter almonds contain chemicals related to cyanide.

True, but cooking them causes the toxic compounds to break down and become harmless.

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

How cool I have never heard of such a thing! And now I must try using them!

@hardlikearmour, actually, cooking only partially destroys the cyanogenic glycosides (which gets broken down into cyanide). There's still cyanide that can be released when the kernal is crushed (eg. chewing). But one or two will not kill you and the pit has to be crushed to release the cyanide. So using it as a flavoring and then removing the kernels so be ok. But most of the literature out there says to limit consumption.
http://www.beyondveg.com...

Thanks, HalfPint! I certainly wouldn't want anyone to get sick or worse.