🔕 🔔

How to add habaneros and jalapenos to beans

I have a handful of jalapenos and habaneros that I want to add to my pot of kidney beans. I know I'm supposed to wait till the end to add them, but I was curious as to whether I could just throw them in whole and let them simmer for a bit, or if I should dice them. Any ideas?

asked by John about 4 years ago

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

A handful of habaneros, huh? I don't know any reason you couldn't throw them in whenever you want. At the beginning is traditional when you're working with dried chiles to give them plenty of time to soften, but to preserve the color and texture of the fresh fruit, dicing and adding toward the end is the way I'd go. And, as always, I'd remove the seeds.

Thanks! btw I read somewhere that acidity slows the cook time of the beans which is why I was why I wasn't sure.