Need help planning a dinner menu

We are cooking a birthday dinner for 7, with one vegetarian. I would like to try this tart: http://food52.com/recipes... and we love this salad http://food52.com/recipes.... An odd pairing maybe, but I was thinking together they'd be a nice vegetarian autumnal meal. But I can't think of an additional dish that would go well. Two of the guests would love meat to be on the menu, but I was thinking of doing a vegetarian meal. I will be making a double-chocolate/pumpkin cheesecake for dessert, so I want to go easy on dairy for the third dish. Help?

asked by Megan over 4 years ago

Hmm - I would lean towards a warm hearty grain side ... I haven't searched the site for a specific one but I know there are loads out there - or maybe some lentils. A dish like that would satisfy meat heads and veggies alike. Give 'em wine, that'll help!!!

lloreen

The tart and the kale salad will be delicious together. To complete your autumn theme, I would start with a carrot or butternut soup as a first course. Serve with some toasted bagguette slices. You could do "bluecheese and fig savouries" to serve with a drink before dinner. Maybe with "roasted fennel and white bean dip" - a personal favorite - if your guests are likely to be hungry when they arrive.

Or, another idea - "crispy delicate rings with fennel and apple relish."
Your menu sounds great to me. Just make 2 or 3 tarts and you will have more that enough to satisfy 7.

Megan

These are great suggestions, thank you! That roasted fennel and white bean dip looks great! Not sure how I missed that one. Also- I just noticed the community picks from the dinner party side contest- good ideas there too. Maybe the farro risotto with caramelized apples & fennel. Thank you!