🔕 🔔

Valentine's Day menu

I looooove Valentine's Day and am enthusiastically planning my menu right now. We're going to have Chicken Kiev for our entree and Coconut Cream Pie for dessert. My husband doesn't love cauliflower, carrots or pumpkin/squash, and though we eat/love kale salad every day, I want something new in terms of sides. What are your faves? I'd like to steer away from grain and bean salads because they're often on the heavier side, although lentils are cool!

Emily is a trusted source on General Cooking.

ktr

How about this recipe for roasted shallots. I haven't tried it yet myself but it sounds delicious. https://food52.com/recipes...

5b7755f4 f84e 4738 be55 06b56e9c2553  dsc 0008 002
em-i-lis

Hi ktr, I eat roasted and caramelized shallots as often as possible!! Divine! Thanks!

Thinkng of total balance in the meal, you have lots of cream and white/yellow colors on the table. So I' d be sure to include acids abd bright colors. One suggestion is a cucumber melon salad (about 5 cups of each, in half moons or medium dice), a basic vinaigrette, a bit of garlic scallion and herb for garnish (cilantro, mint or parsley). In winter, when it's impossible to get good melons, I use pineapple for the fruit. Don't dress until you''re ready to eat, for best results (esp if using watermelon, which quickly collapses if sitting in dressing 1/2 hour or more). steamed artichoke as a starter, with a good dip or simply garlic butter. Red cabbage slaw. Italian salad of sliced oranges and onions, garnished with kalamata olives. Romaine salad with chunks of roasted sweet potato and something red (pomegrabate seeds, dried cranberry, sliced strawberries) as garnish. Hope these ideas help.

Brussels sprouts, halved and browned in a hot, heavy skillet then lightly steamed for about a minute (just put the lid on). Add equal parts of mustard, pomegranate molasses and lemon juice to make a light dressing. Bright! Easy! Flavorful! And/or a bright simple salad made with arugula and red lettuces, pickled + not-pickled beets, walnuts or pecans, and a sharp maple vinaigrette. If not pickled beets, supremes of cara cara oranges (so pretty) and ruby grapefruit. You need your sides to be sharp to counter all that cream! ;o)

E5e93288 af48 4bff 986a 930179e2592d  10364021 10153338327901993 5023399563083854642 n

A crisp Fennel Salad with Toasted Walnuts is one option for a refreshing, new side: http://www.healthline.com...

Or Browned Brussel Sprouts are another great choice that are perfect with any chicken dish: http://www.healthline.com...

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

There's a surprisingly delicious recipe for Tarragon Roasted Celery in Bitter by Jennifer McLagan. I served it to some guests and they raved about it (in part because the celery is so unexpected as a roasted vegetable). You take a bunch of outside stalks of celery (a bit over a pound), cut into matchsticks about 3 inches long, then toss with 2 T EVOO, salt and pepper. Spread them in a single layer on a roasting pan, and scatter on several sprigs of tarragon. Roast at 425º F for 50-60 minutes, stirring after 20 and 40 minutes. Goal is soft and starting to caramelize on the edges. (PS. Make a pound for just the two of you).

em-i-lis

HLA, this sounds super unique and good. And, since the Kiev contains tarragon butter, I think this would be marvelously in sync. Thanks!!

5e9c0b8f c9a0 4744 abd2 1def5bbeaeca  1380644 562697560462865 988341931 n

Bevi's Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pears & Pistachios on this site in CRAZY good, and I think you can still get the fresh ingredients.

em-i-lis

Thank you everyone!!!!

B326d3c7 1329 4a43 925a 0f140bd0aa2e  finallogoheader

Roasted broccoli with pine nuts, lemon and parm is delicious and would add a bit of color. http://2aprons.wordpress... Good luck!!

21cce3cd 8e22 4227 97f9 2962d7d83240  photo squirrel

No starch? I am thinking a pilaf with wheatberries and maybe lentils- for texture and health. For veggies, antonia's brussel sprouts, or a butternut squash , sliced into crescents and broiled with a teryaki glaze.

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

I love this recipe on the site, Kale with Pancetta, Cream and Toasted Rosemary Walnuts