🔕 🔔

What wine to serve with tomato soup and grilled cheese?

asked by Debra Bremer almost 4 years ago

Pinot Noir

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Pinot noir is French for "goes with everything."

94ff4163 13ec 407a a53b 792c87641e55  fsm
trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

I love this question. I usually drink beer with that, but for wine... well, both the foods are pretty sweet, so I would go with a dry wine. Maybe a dry white. Then again, red wine with tomatoes isn't too bad either. For red, I would use Barolo as it has a nice round flavour without being too sweet, to balance cheese and tomatoes.

Are you willing to tell us more about the special occasion? It's not everyday people ask this kind of question.

Looking forward to seeing everyone else's answers.

I would have a dry white also. Probably a Sauvignon blanc. I am by no stretch of the word a wine snob, so/and/but I would probably have Nobilo or Kim Crawford. Cheap, cheerful, and tasty.
Also, can I come for dinner? I will bring the wine.

Bac35f8c 0352 46fe 95e3 57de4b652617  p1291120

Champagne, of course! :)

14b11c12 6b95 4986 8177 06182a5401bb  sleepin rache circa 92

There are some great answers above! But for my two cents...
Other than a wine you like of course, I would say try and pair it to the cheese in your sammich. Here is a link for a quick cheat sheet that will help you choose what wines may go well with what types of cheeses. Good luck!

F3e3c3dc 6f71 4d72 9b5a 4fa47e3ac844  fb avatar
added about 19 hours ago

I usually pair my tomato bisque soup and grilled cheese with a spicy Cabernet. It pairs well with the tomatoes as well as the cheese.