I want to buy a food mill as a gift, but having never used one I'm not sure what's the most important aspect to look for. There are plastic ones, metal ones, some come with multiple disks???Any suggestions?
Thanks

aargersi December 1, 2010

Definitly NOT a plastic one - you want one that will last - I would go metal. And the mutiple disks give you different grades or textures right? I would go for the cadillac version, metal, discs, the works - well how much do you love the recipient? (just kidding on that last - go for it I say!!)

Rivka
Rivka December 1, 2010

The one I have is the "3-dish food mill" from BedBath. It cost $29, it cleans easily, and it stores as small as a food mill can. I'm pretty happy with it.

Rivka
Rivka December 1, 2010

sorry, "3-DISK" food mill.

pierino December 1, 2010

Heavier the better. These are real work horse tools in your kitchen. It performs tasks that a food processor can't. And it's beauty is that it's totally analog---all elbow grease.

innoabrd
innoabrd December 1, 2010

I've had both plastic and metal and the stainless steel is definately the way to go!

babycook
babycook December 1, 2010

Thanks all. I've found the BBnB one, and I think I'll go with that.