🔕 🔔

Can I freeze pancake batter?

I made pancake batter this morning, when my houseguest came back with 2 bags of bagels and cream cheese--which we ate instead. Can I freeze the (sweet milk-based) batter for next Sunday?

asked almost 4 years ago

7b500f1f 3219 4d49 8161 e2fc340b2798  flower bee

You could if your leavening is yeast based, but not if they are baking powder/soda pancakes. Depending on the proportions and technique of your recipe (separated eggs?)you might be able to combine the batch with some sourdough starter the night before the morning you plan to serve them, or alternatively to add extra milk and turn it into a crepe like batter. It depend on what and how much of it is in you recipe.

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

You could cook them up now & freeze, they reheat very well.

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

Thank you, Droplet and sLx, I cooked them up today. Even though the batter was 24 hours in the fridge, they cooked up fine.

4f98639e b8b3 42cd 9b01 ec8a503c5fdd  2010 09 15 14.22.07

I used to make pancake batter on Sunday night, and then fry up a few pancakes each morning over the next 3-4 days before my daughter went to school. The first couple of days' worth were absolutely fine, as if I had just made the batter. Day 3 and 4, the pancakes had less air and were flatter. And on day 4, if we got that far, the batter was a bit grey, but the odor and flavor was fine.