Making a red velvet cake. Recipe calls for 2 cups canola oil. Made this cake over the weekend and didn't have enough canola oil used veg oil

Right now have maybe a cup of veg oil and 1/2 cup canola. Anything else I can use to substitute???

• Posted by: mandy
  • October 29, 2013

Monita October 29, 2013

Safflower oil would work. Just wouldn't use olive oil

boulangere October 29, 2013

You can use melted butter for the remainder, but be sure that when you melt it, you let the water cook off. Butter is an emulsion of 80% fat, 18% water, and 2% milk solids. To get the 4 ounces you are lacking, melt 5 ounces of butter and let the water "sputter" away. Excess water in any batter gives gluten a chance to overdevelop and produce a tougher cake.

Dana
Dana October 30, 2013

Use some olive oil but overdose on the sugar

magpiebaker
magpiebaker October 30, 2013

You could also try some other relatively neutral oil, like grapeseed oil if you have it. Peanut might work but I'm not sure how strong 1/2 cup would be in the grand scheme of things. Plus peanut and chocolate kind of go together anyway!