🔕 🔔

What is the best brand of almond paste? Any preferences? Thanks!

asked by A_to_the_Zed over 7 years ago

I've always used Odense, as that all that's been available. I like it just fine. You can also make your own, though. My sister did that recently and the results were amazing. ;o)

4d625ded d965 42c7 b1ee ec9d7dc7fb4e  profilepic

I used Odense last night to make Amanda's almond cake (from Cooking for Mr. Latte), and I didn't like the flavor at all. Tasted very artificial. This recipe looks reliable -- http://www.fearlesskitchen... -- and this one has no corn syrup, if you care about that sort of thing: http://thehungariangirl...

I like Solo brand - make sure you use almond paste, not filling. Agree that making it yourself is ideal, but sometimes just not practical.

8e94e86b faa9 42ae 93f9 c243369e2b3f  cakecake

I've used Odense and Solo, and never noticed a flavor difference between the two. Both have worked just fine. I've noticed that Solo tends to be a little softer, but it's never made a textural difference in the end product.

Thank you all for your replies. It never occurred to me that I could make it from scratch! I'm loving that idea and think I will give it a try. Thanks again!