What is the best brand of almond paste? Any preferences? Thanks!

asked by A_to_the_Zed over 7 years ago

I've always used Odense, as that all that's been available. I like it just fine. You can also make your own, though. My sister did that recently and the results were amazing. ;o)

Rivka

I used Odense last night to make Amanda's almond cake (from Cooking for Mr. Latte), and I didn't like the flavor at all. Tasted very artificial. This recipe looks reliable -- http://www.fearlesskitchen... -- and this one has no corn syrup, if you care about that sort of thing: http://thehungariangirl...

allie

I like Solo brand - make sure you use almond paste, not filling. Agree that making it yourself is ideal, but sometimes just not practical.

campagnes

I've used Odense and Solo, and never noticed a flavor difference between the two. Both have worked just fine. I've noticed that Solo tends to be a little softer, but it's never made a textural difference in the end product.

A_to_the_Zed

Thank you all for your replies. It never occurred to me that I could make it from scratch! I'm loving that idea and think I will give it a try. Thanks again!