Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

Please..anyone have whole foods Greenwich, CT breakfast bar recipe?!

I live in Ohio, and have inlaws in Connecticut. The Whole Foods store is within walking distance, and I love to stop in for breakfast for the past 2 years. They have these almond, cranberry breakfast bars that are delicious. I have ordered many in the past to freeze once I get home and now I have only one left. I've tried in vain to find a recipe for them, but nothing hits the mark so far. They have sesame seeds, whole almonds but SO much almond flavor. I'm not sure if it's almond flour, almond paste (it's that strong) or if it's a lot of almond flavoring. There are dried cranberries as well. I'd love to call and simply ask for the recipe, but working at a pastry shop, we don't often give out recipes. If I get desperate...I might just go for it.
Thanks so much for reading my request!
Sheridan.

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer over 2 years ago
334d09cb 05fb 4998 81f1 69e7ae796eb9  image

This isn't exactly what you're looking for, but Smitten Kitchen has a recipe for thick and chewy granola bars that's described as an attempt to approximate a bar she had at Whole Foods (but less sweet). It's a flexible recipe that you can customize with your choice of dried fruit, nuts and nut butter. If you made it with almond butter plus the dried fruit and nuts/seeds you've identified in the Whole Foods bar, it might be along the right lines.
http://smittenkitchen.com...

I came across these same breakfast bars in Glastonbury, CT and loved them so much that i have come up with my own recipe that is very close to the real thing. I followed very closely the list of ingredients on the package from whole foods, substituting cashew butter for sunbutter and i added coconut flakes instead of sesame seeds. The recipe is as follows:

2 cups "processed" old fashion oats*
2 tbsp nonfat milk powder
3 tbsp old fasioned oats, not processed
1/2 tsp salt

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup cashew butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp almond extract

1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup almonds
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
2 tbsp coconut flakes
1 tbsp flax seeds

*(I put old fashion oats in the food processor and pulsed them until they were well chopped up, but not quite as fine as a flour consistency. Process enough to measure 2 cups).

In a medium bowl combine "processed" oats, oats, milk powder and salt. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl fitted with the paddle attachment cream the butters with brown sugar. Add honey and almond extract, beat well. Slowly add in the dry ingredients (the oats, milk powder and salt). The dough will start to get very thick. Once the oats are well incorporated, add all the other dry ingredients (nuts, seeds, cranberries, etc). Pour out the dough onto wax or parchment paper and make two long skinny rolls. Use the wax paper to make sure the rolls are uniform from end to end, each roll about 12 in long and 1 1/2 in wide. Flatten each roll slightly. Put them in fridge and refrigerate for 8-12 hours.

Preheat oven to 315 degrees and put oven rack on top shelf. After dough has become very cold remove it from the fridge and cut each 12 in log into about 5 or 6 even pieces. Arrange them on a parchment or silpat mat on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes, or until dark golden in color.

I hope you like these as much as i do.

B5005e12 d962 4a09 ab7f b4a47d545fe9  image

Are you referring to the "granola bars" they sell or is it something softer. Almond paste and almond butter have very different flavor profiles, so figuring out which one it is depends upon how the pastry tastes. If it's an almond extract taste, its almond paste. Here are some suggestions:

http://www.wholefoodsmarket...

http://smittenkitchen.com...

I love these bars too, and have been looking for the recipe. I do have ingredient list from back of package, rolled oats, butter, sweetened dried cranberries, light brown sugar, sunbutter, almonds, sunflower seeds, honey, whole milk powder, whole oat flour, sesame seeds, flax seeds, almond extract, sea salt, contains milk, tree nuts, peanuts. I do plan on trying to make these.