🔕 🔔

This season's "hot" and hip ingredient. Ghost pepper salt?

Okay, I finally had to buy some. This time of year I make a lot of soups and I've been thinking about sparking some of them up with this ghostly stuff. Any thoughts?

asked about 4 years ago

I have some ghost chili salt and it is terrific. I like to scatter a small pinch over my finished dishes like tomato salad, Mac and cheese. Would probably taste great very lightly sprinkled over chowder and tomato soup.

Thanks. I had thought of mac and cheese but a tomato soup is a really good idea. I have Portuguese recipe that I intend to try out.

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

You can make your own. I purchase ghost chilies from Alvarez Brothers here in Washington State. Dehydrate them and grind them and mix with whatever.

I imagine you probably don't have a huge quantity of it, but it sounds like it would make an interesting (and friggin hot) curing salt. Maybe cure some egg yolks since you don't need much for that..? Then you could use those to grate over dishes.
Honestly, I would probably just use it as a finishing salt for steaks and fish. Or maybe add it to scrambled/poached/fried eggs to really wake my ass up in the morning.

On the pastry side of things, it would be a fun ingredient to play around with on, say, chocolate truffles/bonbons or on ice cream.

74402dcc d340 465d 94ab e55b9a2faa01  prof

i bought some from the spice and tea exchange, its fantastic. I don't think it's all THAT hot, but it has nice heat. I add it to Asparagus along with a smoked salt after tossing with olive oil and bake at 375 to preference. I'll also add it as a finish to eggs and skirt steak sammies. mmmm

926ee962 060e 44e6 a1d9 878262f34bf8  image

What about salt brownies, carmel corn or mango toffee

It sounds obvious but I love it any place you'd use both salt and hot sauce: eggs, veggie & rice bowls, chicken or burgers.