🔕 🔔

Is it possible to make the domino potatoes (http://food52.com/blog/5649-francis-mallmann-s-potato-dominoes) a few hours ahead and reheat them?

asked by BetsyN almost 4 years ago

I can't seem to open the recipe for some reason, but reheating should be fine--as long as you're not thinking of using a microwave ;)

Thanks. I'm thinking about making these for Thanksgiving - and am just trying to figure out whether I'll have enough space in the oven...

I think the parentheses around the link above are making it cranky. So here it is naked: http://food52.com/recipes...

I made these a while ago and they were fantastic. This is just me, but unless you have four ovens, I'm not sure I'd do them for Thanksgiving. :-) They're a bit of work, they should be very hot when served, and they need to be tended at the end so they don't burn. I don't know how many people you're hosting, but they also take up a lot of real estate because you have to fan them out flat-ish on the baking sheet. And just to pass along a tip from another recent thread... if you decided to par-bake them, you can't leave them (especially covered in foil) on the counter any longer than 2 hours max. After that they have to be refrigerated. And who has room for a big baking sheet in their fridge on Thanksgiving?

All that said... definitely try making them sometime! They're lovely.

Thanks. This is really helpful. Any suggestions for potatoes that can be made a few hours ahead?

Mashed potatoes kept warm in a crockpot always work. If you don't have or can't borrow a crockpot, just keep them in a bowl over a pot of simmering water, covered with a dish towel, giving them an occasional stir.
You could also do a nice mélange of roasted regular or sweet potatoes with other root vegetables. Roast in the oven tossed with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, and an herb that complements your meal or some type of glaze. You could roast those ahead and keep them warm in a crock pot. For warming them up later, they would also fit in a smaller dish in the oven - the dry oven heat is probably better than putting them over a pot of simmering water.
Here are a ton of potato recipes:
http://food52.com/recipes...

Have fun!

Ah, yes. Now that I looked at the recipe, I'd agree with pegeen that another potatoes recipe would probably be better suited to your constraints on tday. Roasted fingerlins always look nice and couldn't be easier. But I'm sure thee community picks should give you some good ideas.