My potato salad is always watery 1 hour after making it. How can I make it dry for at least 2 days?

No matter what potatoes I use or what recipe I use, I can't find a way to keep it from liquifying.

asked by bbq about 3 years ago

witloof

How are you preparing your potatoes? Are you peeling, cutting them up and boiling them? Try steaming them with their skins instead, then peel them while still warm. Generally waxy potatoes are better for potato salad, like red or Yukon Gold.

bbq
bbq

I've done all of what you say.

And what are you putting into it besides potatoes?

bbq
bbq

mayo, prepared mustard, pickles with the juice pressed out, celery, onion and some dry seasonings.

SilverSage

Make sure your potatoes are completely cooled before dressing. Hot potatoes are still giving off steam, and if they're dressed, the steam goes into the dressing instead of the air.

Celery gives off a lot of water. Either eliminate it, or chop, salt & drain it well in advance of adding it to the dressing. You could use celery seed in place of celery - although not exactly the same, there is a similar subtle underlying bitter bite to both.

bbq
bbq

ok to the salted celery. I will also do that for the onions as well and see what happens.....thanks