A question about a recipe: Blistered Shishito Peppers

I have a question about the recipe "Blistered Shishito Peppers" from Marian Bull. Hello - how much oil do you need? How long do they usually take to be tender?

• Posted by: Sascha
  • November 16, 2013
80e88172 2f53 41b5 a8be 9949b09d8c48  peppers2
Recipe question for: Blistered Shishito Peppers

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich November 17, 2013

Sascha - I make these all the time using padron peppers that I grow in my garden. Place a frying pan over medium high heat, when heated add 2 Tablespoons olive oil. Fry until black and blistered, approximately 3-5 minutes, on each side. Sprinkle generously with sea salt. Enjoy!

QueenSashy November 17, 2013

The amount of oil will depend on the size of your pan, but you basically want enough oil to coat the pan generously.

BoulderGalinTokyo
BoulderGalinTokyo November 18, 2013

We cook shishito peppers for about 7 months of the year ( just 2 plants in the garden). We are not a fan of the blistered or burnt taste so we cook our peppers until they are softened but still bright green (will continue to cook some after removing from the heat.) I guess that makes it about 'half raw', which is one of the advantages of shishito. Salt and oil as Trena and QueenSashy say.

dymnyno
dymnyno November 18, 2013

I use a generous coating of olive oil and throw in the peppers and continue shaking until the peppers blister but before they blacken. I hand pick the smallest peppers that I can find and hope for ones that are not too too hot(it's a gamble). Season with a sprinkle of sea salt.