What is the candy?

When growing up my grandmother made a refrigerated, soft white candy during the holidays that she would use to fill dates or press whole walnuts into. They would then go back into the refrigerator. Any ideas as to what the candy might be?

• Posted by: JasMWood
  • November 20, 2013

magpiebaker
magpiebaker November 20, 2013

It might be something like this :http://southernfood.about...

Do you remember what it tasted like?

JasMWood
JasMWood November 20, 2013

Hi - it was made without fruit or nuts and I just remembered that she may have used Karo syrup

KimmyV
KimmyV November 20, 2013

Could it possibly be 'divinity'? That's the only soft white candy I know of.

Dessito
Dessito November 20, 2013

JasMWood, do you have any idea if your grandmother (or at least the recipe) had any connection with an ethnic cuisine influenced by the Ottoman Empire (i.e., Turkish, Bulgarian, Greek, Armenian, or possibly even Indian etc.)? In that tradition there is a simple sugar-based dessert called "white sweets" which is basically a lot of glucose (there are variations with only regular crystal sugar, others with powdered sugar, and others with corn syrup, which I imagine your grandmother used the Karo for), which you boil with water until it thickens, flavor with vanilla or lemon juice according to taste, and cool down before you start stirring. I am not sure what chemical reaction happens with this temperature variation, but it is at the stirring stage that the transparent viscose mass turns snow-white and hardens. It can then be preserved for months in jars and is usually served in single spoonfuls in glasses of cold water that one sips from in order to offset the terrible sweetness. It is similar to fondant and due to its dough-like texture can easily be stuffed into dried fruits or used to wrap nuts, as you describe. If this seems familiar, I can offer you specific recipes for the proportions.

JasMWood
JasMWood November 23, 2013

Hi

She was the daughter of a 49er from Tennessee who came to make his fortune and failing that opened the first pony express stop in San Joaquin county. He was from a long family with German origins. She also had this idiosyncrancy if cooking some very good enchiladas with almonds. I'll try this and let you know. Thanks for the suggestion

Dessito
Dessito November 20, 2013

^ viscous

Pegeen November 21, 2013

This thread might contain some clues:
https://food52.com/hotline...

JasMWood
JasMWood November 23, 2013

I'll try some of these and let you know. Thanks so much for the suggestion

Jim

nancy essig
nancy essig November 23, 2013

it was nougat

JasMWood
JasMWood November 23, 2013

Thanks Nancy

After she made the candy it remained soft and had to be refrigerated

JasMWood
JasMWood December 12, 2013

I found it in Beard's American Cookery - p.831
He even details the use of fruit fondant "used to fill pitted prunes or dates. Half a walnut or pecan meat is sometime set on the fondant filling to decorate the fruit".

Thanks so much for the replies

JasMWood
JasMWood December 12, 2013

Thanks so much for the replies