white spots on my dates

I bought some dates at a local market recently and now I see little white spots on them. They have not been refrigerated. Does anyone know if this is the fruit sugar crystallizing or is this some mold?

asked by healthierkitchen about 4 years ago

When my dates start to barely dry out after opening them, the sugar crystallizes. I never refrigerate mine. I've not seen it on unopened dates though.

healthierkitchen

I did open the package and use a few right after I bought them. But it's not a grocery store resealable bag so I've had the opened package in a resealable container.

Yeah, it's just that sugar. I just looked at mine (in my pantry in a pyrex) and they have white on them. It kind of flakes off like icing and tastes sweet. :)

dinner at ten
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

Almost certainly this is crystallized sugar; I've had this happen with dates quite a few times.