🔕 🔔

I've read that the best way to make smooth, lump-less mashed potatoes is with a food mill, and using a mix of Yukon and Russett. Do you agree?

asked by CheeseLover almost 4 years ago

Cd7ee448 49b9 4d61 a17c 8d8056cb1bce  september2013

I also like all Yukons. I've decided not to get on board with the ricer or food mill, I prefer mine with some texture like my mother always made.

19f2e275 c635 488f 8322 530158a23e00  food52

just get and use a simple potato ricer. it will make life much easier and yield the same, if not better, results in terms of mashed potatoes

A food mill has a wider range of uses, but is bulky to store and a little clumsier to use.

I'm Irish so the term "mashed potatoes" is very literal for me. They were mashed with a solid wood pounder - a cylinder about two inches wide. Then in place of that, a wire pounder witha wood handle and "S-shape" wires at the base for mortifying the potatoes. And then the beaters of an electric mixer, pounding them down into the just-boiled potatoes before adding any milk or cream, butter, salt, pepper and whipping them with the beaters.
I've never seen anyone use a potato ricer in my family but that's why you move to new countries, right?

I think all you need is a hand mixer. You smash the potatoes with them, add your liquids and butter, then start

I love my ricer!

Growing up, Mom (or one of us) always used the food mill. It makes stellar mashed potatoes. A ricer is just (to me) a smaller version that takes more elbow grease. Plus, you don't have to peel the potatoes if you use the food mill. I like German butterballs best for mashed potatoes.

June, what is a "German butterball"? Thanks.

I use a ricer and I use whatever potatoes are
on sale. I also really like to add cream cheese and sour cream... Makes the texture extra creamy and gives them a subtle kick of flavor.

3162c11b e070 4795 95d1 fd9492a6b582  lulusleep

I also use a ricer. I put the cooked potatoes through the ricer right over the milk/stock/butter/seasoning, etc. Then I gently mix everything (only need a few toss) and it's done. It stays nice and fluffy.