🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Cook's Illustrated Foolproof Pie Crust

05d6cc14 3354 4066 89b2 95b2fbfaf3ce  2013 1011 when to blind bake 021

I have a question about the recipe "Cook's Illustrated Foolproof Pie Crust" from Genius Recipes. Do you still pre-bake the crust if baking a pumpkin, pecan, or custard type pie?

asked by JANA L almost 4 years ago

8425a5f0 773c 4ccd b24e 9e75b44477a8  monita photo

Can depend on the recipe. I have a pecan and sweet potato pie recipes that I don't pre-bake the crust

definitely depends. my mom used to bake pumpkin pies by first baking the crust in a pie tin and the custard in a pyrex pie plate. just before serving, she'd slide the custard into the crispy, perfect crust. any bit of mess at the edges she dealt with by piping on whipped cream. yum!

I usually blind-bake crusts of custard-type pies for 10 minutes or so (even if the recipe doesn't call for it), then cool before adding the filling. It helps set the bottom crust before adding the wet filling. You do have to be careful of overbrowning the edges of the crust if you do this, though.