🔕 🔔

Can you make dark brown sugar from light brown sugar?

I changed recipes at the last minute and only now realized I need dark brown sugar instead of light. I have molasses. Is there a way to make this work and still come out with nearly the same flavor profile?

asked by holapino almost 4 years ago

1159112d e9d2 47a5 aa03 ccf4491917f1  img 9977
cratecooking

Susan is a Recipe Tester for Food52

The difference between light and dark brown sugar is the amount of molasses that each contains, with the dark containing slightly more. While I wouldn't worry about the difference (brown sugar, light or dark, will make any recipe delicious!), as light and brown can generally be used interchangeably, you can refer to this formula to see how much molasses to add. Dark brown sugar has just over double the amount of molasses as light brown sugar.
1 cup of white sugar and 1 1/2 tablespoons molasses for light brown sugar.
1 cup of white sugar and 1/4 cup molasses for dark brown sugar.