🔕 🔔

I forgot my pumpkin pie on the counter last night. Is it safe to serve if it was left out of the fridge for 15 hours?

I used this recipe (which includes milk, eggs, and cream) http://food52.com/recipes...

Do I need to start over and bake another pie?

asked by julianne114 about 4 years ago

39bc764f 7859 45d4 9e95 fc5774280613  headshot 2.0 crop

This is a tough call, but the FDA doesn't recommend leaving custard pies out for more than 2 hours, so starting over would be the safest route. Luckily it comes together fast, so you probably still have time!

Technically, you can't, but practically, you can. Just eat it and enjoy it. Everyone will be fine. :)

671b6c39 4898 435f 92c5 89cd9b925088  img 3788

This question is long past. But my pie has been sitting out for almost 3 days now and is still delicious. As long as it is in a coolest environment and covered, i think it is fine. Keeping the pie in the fridge is such a recent idea. Previously. You would have a pie safe, which is just a cupboard to keep the flies away

D7ce06be a444 4049 8f92 3c1b68e17f21  2012 12 07at12 51 00

Well, we went ahead and ate it! Thanks, guys. It was still delicious and nobody felt ill at all.

d

those (foodlikeproduct )chemical pies? they could travel round the world and be just as bad as on meijer's shelves

783863ae 1dde 4a6f ac35 64523440e0c7  fb avatar

I made one with pumpkin, eggs, and whipping cream on Wednesday. Super early Friday morning I had a piece and noticed at the last bite something was slightly off. Two hours later, the pie was visibly off and smelled rank in the kitchen. Oops! I could have sworn my grandma's pies were always on the counter, but I realized she used canned ingredients - but I certainly threw the rest away. So far, the last bit I ate hasn't come back to haunt me and it's been almost a whole day.... (eep!)