I forgot my pumpkin pie on the counter last night. Is it safe to serve if it was left out of the fridge for 15 hours?

I used this recipe (which includes milk, eggs, and cream) http://food52.com/recipes...

Do I need to start over and bake another pie?

asked by julianne114 almost 5 years ago

This is a tough call, but the FDA doesn't recommend leaving custard pies out for more than 2 hours, so starting over would be the safest route. Luckily it comes together fast, so you probably still have time!

Technically, you can't, but practically, you can. Just eat it and enjoy it. Everyone will be fine. :)

lloreen

This question is long past. But my pie has been sitting out for almost 3 days now and is still delicious. As long as it is in a coolest environment and covered, i think it is fine. Keeping the pie in the fridge is such a recent idea. Previously. You would have a pie safe, which is just a cupboard to keep the flies away

lloreen

julianne114

Well, we went ahead and ate it! Thanks, guys. It was still delicious and nobody felt ill at all.

d
d

those (foodlikeproduct )chemical pies? they could travel round the world and be just as bad as on meijer's shelves

Eternity Moreau

I made one with pumpkin, eggs, and whipping cream on Wednesday. Super early Friday morning I had a piece and noticed at the last bite something was slightly off. Two hours later, the pie was visibly off and smelled rank in the kitchen. Oops! I could have sworn my grandma's pies were always on the counter, but I realized she used canned ingredients - but I certainly threw the rest away. So far, the last bit I ate hasn't come back to haunt me and it's been almost a whole day.... (eep!)

Gary

Feed the inlaws first and wait..... see what happens then youll know if its safe to eat.

Geoffrey Taylor

I know from experience that your pie will be great! Several years ago my Mother and I were debating whether or not Pumpkin Pie should ne refrigerated or not and after reviewing many internet answers we found that you should! But up to that time I had always left my Pies out to be eaten at rm temp and have done for several days at a time! Im not necessarily saing that you should leave them out for days but at the same time grocery stores where i buy most of my pies keep theres on a display table fpr who k ows how long before purchased. So I hope you didnt throw that pie away and if not than enjoy either way cold or "not". Safe eating!!