Saw some fresh turmeric at an Asian grocery and brought it home. What can I do with it?

asked by @luvcookbooks almost 5 years ago

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

See a thread on chowhound http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/831529

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

Thanks!

Pam p

The Indian way to use fresh turmeric is to make a quick pickle with it -- just peel, chop fine, add salt, lemon juice and a few chopped green chillies. You can finish this with what in Indian cooking is called a "tadka" -- basically heat some oil (canola is fine), add mustard seeds, wait till they pop and pour this hot oil with the mustard seeds to the turmeric mixture. This will keep for at least a couple of weeks in the fridge. It is super with hot rice and some lentils.

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

oh my! I will be making this today or tomorrow-- my spice and heat loving son will be happy. Thanks!! The hotline is the best ever-- I used to bring home impulse purchases like the turmeric and sadly let them languish.

Pam p

Hope you enjoy it! It will look somewhat like http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8370/8497737764_6504ba3136_z.jpg
when done. This image is of a raw mango pickle, but the turmeric pickle will have the same appearance. It goes great with nice fatty plain yogurt. Enjoy!

You can pound a ~1/2"-1" piece with about 1/2-3/4 cup grated/ground fresh lemongrass, salt, and a small red chili until you get a lovely spicy yellow rough paste. Rub that paste on beef, chicken, fish or firm tofu and grill, pan-fry or broil. It was one of mother's go-to marinades for protein.

Panfusine

grate it along with carrots, and a teaspoon of grated ginger root,a finely chopped chile, a splash of lime, (Salt of course), Heat 2 tablespoons of oil till almost smoking, add a teaspoon of mustard, allow the seeds to pop and drizzle the oil mixture over the salad. (optional: soak some split mung dal for 1/2 hour until rehydrated and crunchy and add to the mix)

I am jealous! I've been looking for it everywhere. Love all these ideas and will try them all.

Turmeric is purportedly really good for digestion, and improves arthritic symptoms. I used to buy a Turmeric Elixir at the natural foods store. It was basically a juice made of turmeric, lime juice, honey, ginger, and a bunch of other stuff. I mixed it into my oj, or added a splash to tea. It was pretty gnarly to drink straight. Have always wanted to try making my own, since the elixir is super expensive.

I bought a small bottle of turmeric extract at Mrs. Greens. I make tea: 1/2 sliced lemon, some fresh mint, a spoonful of honey, and two full squirts of turmeric extract. Pour hot water over. it's good!

@Mrs.L, turmeric is great for problem skin too, since it's anti-bacterial. In Asian, they sell a lot of turmeric skin cream. Seems to help combat acne and whitens too. So the secret to beautiful Asian skin is not Pearl Cream, but turmeric ;)