French Press recommendations?

A son-in-law has a French Press on his Christmas wish list. Would love your thoughts on brands, etc.

Pegeen December 7, 2013

I've used an inexpensive Bodum for a long time. I'd recommend that brand for someone who may be trying out a French press for the first time, when there's no need to make an expensive investment. He might also need a coffee grinder to go with? I like Krups' inexpensive, basic one which works for grinding spices as well.

cookbookchick
cookbookchick December 7, 2013

We like this one very much: Bodum 1308-16 Columbia 8-Cup Stainless-Steel Thermal Press Pot
http://amzn.com/B00005YY9X

It comes in 2 or 3 sizes. We have the 8 cup and the 12 cup. No issue with breakage of the carafe as we have had with glass pots.

sdebrango December 7, 2013

I have the Freiling 36 oz stainless and love it. It's double walled so your coffee (or tea) stays hot longer, it's well made also. I used to have glass and broke it, this is unbreakable which for me is a good thing.

Coco espresso
Coco espresso December 7, 2013

Yes. Always Bodum. The best by far. And the insulated carafe is always a nice choice, if you are going for the bigger size. It really does make a nice warm cup of coffee.

QueenSashy December 8, 2013

I am too in the Bodum camp... Served me for many years, and they also sell replacement glass, if anything happens to it.

Kristen W.
Kristen W. December 8, 2013

Yep, I'm happy with my Bodum too.

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen December 8, 2013

Thanks everyone! I went with a Bodum stainless on sale at Macy's plus an extra 25% off with a promo code. PLUS I went through ebates and will get another 6% off in a rebate check.