Staub rice cooker

I got the Petit Staub Rice Cooker for here as a gift last Christmas. It is so cute and I want it to work so badly, but it just...doesn’t. I have never had trouble cooking rice before. I will say, it is far less likely to burn in this pot. That part is great. However, every time I check rice after the allotted time (I’ve tried basmati, jasmine, Mexican style long grain white and long grain brown) it is still covered in a lot of water. I have tried using different ratios, I have tried letting the rice steam for 10 minutes with the lid on and no heat at the end of cooking to let it absorb. I have tried cooking at a higher temp just to see if more water will evaporate more quickly. I live in Denver, weirdly enough, and usually people here actually have a problem of the water evaporating too quickly or the rice still being hard. Instead, I end up with so much water I have to cook the rice twice as long and end up with super mushy rice. What do I do? Does this have to do with the fact that the pot has a well fitting lid and no ventilation? Should I use less water? Btw I am not using high altitude recipes that usually call for more water. If it helps, for some reason the basmati came out the least mushy. It was actually ok-ish, just a little bit on the mushier side. The brown rice came out hard even after cooking for an hour and soaking 10 minutes after without lifting the lid. That is the only one that came out hard. Thank you! Please help me.

asked by Katharine 8 days ago

That's a stove top model. Just use it as a another pot in the kitchen.
And make your rice in a proper dedicated rice cooker, Sanyo makes some nice ones, which also make great polenta and oatmeal.
http://appliancist.com/countertop_appliances/rice_cookers/sanyo-rice-cooker-brown-rice-cookers.html
Don't be tempted to get a big one...no one needs that's much rice unless you're a family of 12.

Katharine

I’ve been debating doing this but it seems like such a waste. Everyone has such good reviews! I was planning on getting a Zojirushi soon. Thank you!

So sett

You should definitely try using less water.... If you’re cooking it double the time for the water to absorb, maybe try halving the water amount just to see what happens and tweak from there? in regard to your mushy rice, try turning it into congee or zhou (i think theres a recipe called boosted jook somewhere on this site that would suffice) maybe? Or eat it like my mom does, plain with a variety of chinese pickles for breakfast (pao fan literally translated to soaked rice). I do highly recommend zojirushi though, my mom has been using zojirushi as long as i have been alive and it’s never failed her