broccoli cheddar soup -- any subsitute for cheddar?

So I prepped all the other ingredients and just realized my "shopper" didn't pick up cheddar. I can't run to grocery store -- anything I can do to salvage this?? Thank you in advance!!

asked by lcast almost 5 years ago

Another cheese could be substituted -- just pick a cheese that has a flavor you like. It's also possible that you could omit the cheese. Either way, taste as you go so that you have a good balance. If you have leftovers, you could add cheese when you eat the rest.

Any cheese you have - use one or combine two: parmesan, swiss, jarlsberg, gruyere, stilton, bleu. Most of these will melt faster than cheddar, so add them more to the end of the cooking time, don't let them sit in the broth too long.

Per Pegeen's reply. Parmigiano is not a good melting cheese. But gruyere, stilton and bleu are. In fact stilton sounds like a great idea.

And luckily, broccoli soup without cheese is good too. You could just leave it out.

NatWhit

If you don't have cheese, try adding some coconut milk and a bit of curry powder. It's even yummier and richer.

lcast

Wow, thank you everyone. I think I am going to make the rest of the soup today and buy and add the cheese tomorrow, but I LOVE all these tips. Glad to see I do have so many other great options.

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Sounds like I'm a little late, but I wanted to add that I think ricotta could work well also -- adds good creamy texture as well as flavor.

I really like the ideas to skip the cheese altogether. Some potato pureed with milk, cream or other dairy would also work to thicken up the soup.

Just about any Swiss-type cheese (Gruyere, Emmenthal, Comte, Jarlsberg) would be tasty but won't taste like cheddar. I'd think ricotta would be too watery to work well. But I'm loving the idea of coconut milk and curry powder! :)