My husband asked for broccoli cheddar soup for dinner, but I've never made it and don't know what a good recipe for it looks like. Does anyone have one?

asked by JessieLK about 8 years ago

Here's an old one from Bon Appetit. There are 121 reviews, many of which have ideas on how to modify it. This seems like a good place to start. Have fun!

campagnes

I happen to looooove broccoli cheese soup.

I usually start by simmering about 1 cup chopped carrot with about 2-3 cups chopped broccoli in about 1 1/2 cups of chicken stock.

In a separate pot, sweat ½ chopped onion and 1 small stalk celery, chopped (from the middle of the bunch) in 2 tbsp. butter, then add 2 tbsp. flour and cook for a minute or two. Stir in 2 cups milk; cook and stir until thickened, then stir in a pound of sharp or extra-sharp Cheddar (not mild.. not enough flavor) gradually, about ½ cup at a time, until all the cheese is melted.

Stir in veggies and broth, season to taste with salt, pepper, a teeny grate of fresh nutmeg (or about 1/8 tsp. ground), and a few dashes of hot sauce (the hot sauce plays very well with cheddar; doesn’t give heat, but gives GREAT flavor).

JessieLK

thank you!!

campagnes

you're very welcome.. hope your husband enjoys it!

Mr_Vittles

A very simple cheddar broccoli soup, is a 1/2 cup onions, 1/4 cup celery, 1/4 cup carrots, all small diced, saute them in 3 tbsp butter for 10 minutes over medium heat, then add 2 tbsp AP flour, saute for 5 minutes over medium heat. Add broccoli and saute for 5 minutes, until they are soft. Add 5 cups low sodium chicken stock, bring to boil, reduce to simmer, simmer for 30 minutes and blend with stick blender or blender. Some a smooth consistency is developed, add 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, and a 1/2 cup sour cream or cream fraiche. Finish by salting and peppering to taste, also a little (1/8 tsp) cayenne powder does not hurt. Serve immediately.

RavensFeast

Whichever recipe you use, add a couple dashes of Worcestershire sauce! It just makes it taste better.

JessieLK

You guys were so right about adding the hot sauce and worcestershire! oh my yum!