My husband asked for broccoli cheddar soup for dinner, but I've never made it and don't know what a good recipe for it looks like. Does anyone have one?

drbabs November 8, 2010

Here's an old one from Bon Appetit. There are 121 reviews, many of which have ideas on how to modify it. This seems like a good place to start. Have fun!

campagnes
campagnes November 8, 2010

I happen to looooove broccoli cheese soup.

I usually start by simmering about 1 cup chopped carrot with about 2-3 cups chopped broccoli in about 1 1/2 cups of chicken stock.

In a separate pot, sweat ½ chopped onion and 1 small stalk celery, chopped (from the middle of the bunch) in 2 tbsp. butter, then add 2 tbsp. flour and cook for a minute or two. Stir in 2 cups milk; cook and stir until thickened, then stir in a pound of sharp or extra-sharp Cheddar (not mild.. not enough flavor) gradually, about ½ cup at a time, until all the cheese is melted.

Stir in veggies and broth, season to taste with salt, pepper, a teeny grate of fresh nutmeg (or about 1/8 tsp. ground), and a few dashes of hot sauce (the hot sauce plays very well with cheddar; doesn’t give heat, but gives GREAT flavor).

JessieLK
JessieLK November 8, 2010

thank you!!

campagnes
campagnes November 8, 2010

you're very welcome.. hope your husband enjoys it!

Mr_Vittles
Mr_Vittles November 8, 2010

A very simple cheddar broccoli soup, is a 1/2 cup onions, 1/4 cup celery, 1/4 cup carrots, all small diced, saute them in 3 tbsp butter for 10 minutes over medium heat, then add 2 tbsp AP flour, saute for 5 minutes over medium heat. Add broccoli and saute for 5 minutes, until they are soft. Add 5 cups low sodium chicken stock, bring to boil, reduce to simmer, simmer for 30 minutes and blend with stick blender or blender. Some a smooth consistency is developed, add 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, and a 1/2 cup sour cream or cream fraiche. Finish by salting and peppering to taste, also a little (1/8 tsp) cayenne powder does not hurt. Serve immediately.

RavensFeast
RavensFeast November 8, 2010

Whichever recipe you use, add a couple dashes of Worcestershire sauce! It just makes it taste better.

JessieLK
JessieLK November 8, 2010

You guys were so right about adding the hot sauce and worcestershire! oh my yum!